Are you shopping for a new HVAC system for your home in St. Louis, MO? Selecting a system that will meet your home’s cooling or heating demands precisely will maximize efficiency and energy savings. The first step is to consider the air conditioner’s SEER rating or the heater’s AFUE rating. Read on to learn more about SEER and AFUE ratings.
What Are SEER Ratings?
Firstly, SEER stands for Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio. You can find an air conditioner’s SEER rating displayed on the yellow Energy Guide label or listed with the model and serial number on the manufacturer label. Look for the first digits of the model number. For example, if it starts with 18AC, the AC system has a SEER rating of 18.
The federally regulated minimum SEER rating for air conditioners in Missouri is 13. Some AC systems can reach a SEER rating as high as 25. Determining the right SEER rating for your new air conditioner is a balancing act. That’s because the higher the SEER rating, the more expensive the system. Your goal should be to select an air conditioner with the highest SEER rating possible without overpaying for your home’s cooling demands. An HVAC contractor can help.
What Are AFUE Ratings?
AFUE stands for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. The AFUE rating measures how efficiently a gas furnace converts fuel to energy. Therefore, if a furnace has an 80 percent AFUE rating, it can convert 80 percent of the energy it uses into heat. The furnace will use the other 20 percent during the heating process. Keep this in mind when choosing your next furnace:
- The minimum standard AFUE rating for new gas furnaces is 78 percent.
- A mid-efficiency furnace often has an AFUE rating between 80 and 85 percent.
- A high-efficiency furnace features an AFUE rating between 90 and 97 percent.
Purchasing a new air conditioner or furnace is a significant investment. The team at Indoor Comfort Team is standing by to help you select the right HVAC system for your home and to complete your installation correctly.